Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Trip to see the President

Hi everyone!

Sorry I didn't email yesterday, the internet in Manacapuru just stopped. There isn't mass internet access in Brazil, the only way to operate here in the north is by LAN houses which charge a dollar an hour for rather slow service.

Anyway, this week began with a trip to Manaus for training and the first interview with President Klein. I went on splits with a local companionship and we did street contacting in central Manaus. I met another missionary that had two months left who had baptized over 500 people and 100 of them in the same 6 week transfer! He let me baptize 4 of his investigators while I was there. My companion was a Tongan named (get this) Elder Tonga. He lived in California and speaks three languages, also he weighed over 300 pounds when he arrived in Brazil, but now he's my size, which isn't too small, but better. President Klein made it very obvious that we are not to use Facebook and if we do we won't use a computer for the rest of the mission.

When we got back we walked past a man who asked us to enter his house. He told us he wanted to be baptized and follow Jesus Christ. I baptized him three days later. That was miraculous.

I witnessed a low-speed collision between two motorcycles right in front of us. We watched a soccer game where the Manaus team Princesa won the Amazonas state championship. It was LOUD. A less active member fixed our washing machine for us for free. I’m the only one with money at the end of the month. We moved to a much fancier apartment today that has air conditioning. We heard a talk about soccer in church yesterday. One super cool thing: they called the new mission leader a week ago and yesterday they called his wife, an RM sister, and a priest that's helped us a lot already as ward missionaries! All the elders wear the same shoes, some ugly boots that all the Brazilian construction workers use. Everyone uses this word that kind of sounds like "portia" the way you would use dang or wow.

Trying to speak with everyone and share the gospel maybe it will get easier, but if not, it's ok. I miss you all!


Elder Willard

No comments:

Post a Comment